Thursday, February 18, 2010

Trying a 5.11

Yesterday I tried a 5.11A for the first time. The route was next to a crack and using the crack and the holds I worked my way up and as i was being lowered down I thought to myself that it really wasn't that hard. Then I was told that using the crack isn't allowed unless the route explicitly says so. So sad. Of course I tried the 5.11 again without using the crack but by that time I was a bit tired and the results were not good. I think I made it about a quarter of the way...

I'll keep trying but I'm not disappointed at all, actually I'm surprised that I'm even trying a 5.11 this early in the year given that it's one of my goals to accomplish by the end of the year. With 10 more months to go, I'm confident that I'll get an 11 before the year is over - even if I can only climb once or twice a week for the next three and a half months while I'm studying.

As with most things in life, slow and steady will win the race.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ray. I just discovered your site from a comment you left on my blog. Thanks for that.

    BTW, what is 5.11? Is it some kind of rock climbing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, 5.11a is a grade of a climb that I tried. I think it's considered a fairly hard climb so I don't feel too bad about not making it, I just have to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete