Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Breaking into the 10c's and the importance of being patient

Today I went climbing and completed a 5.10c, and almost had another one. I would have completed the climb but with only 3 or 4 moves to go I suddenly rushed myself, miss-stepped and fell. I quickly got back on the wall and finished the climb but it's not a completed climb until I get to the top without falling. I sometimes fall into the bad habit of losing my patients trying to rush a climb as I get close to the top, this isn't the first time I've fallen because I rushed, I need to remember to stay within myself and to move slowly and deliberately rather then go as fast as I can.

The 10c I completed was a great climb. I did make deliberate movements, I took the opportunity to rest and re-chalk my hands when the course allowed me to and I made it to the top. It was challenging but a very fun climb. Unlike some routes that you climb once and never go back to, I can see myself climbing this one several times and enjoying it each time.

Of course climbing isn't the only place you should stop yourself from rushing. When it comes to spending, rushing is often your worst enemy and being patient can be your greatest ally. When you're making a purchase ask yourself if it's a want or a need. if you truly need something then you should buy it, but if it is a want you would probably be better served to wait. You may be able to find the exact same thing cheaper on-line, find a coupon to the store, find a substitute item that is less expensive or you may decide that you don't even want it anymore. You may not get the instant gratification of making the purchase but the cost savings will be well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment